Program Details Program Code:
School: Macmillian Institute of Applied Health Sciences
Credential:Ontario College Certificate
Location: College Campus/Online
DURATION: 14 HRS
OVERVEIW: comprehensive blended learning course centers on the development of clinical skills and knowledge supportive of working with advanced-practice wound care.
The eight-week online segment focuses on:
- pressure ulcers
- vascular ulcers
- VAC usage
- debridement This
- high risk foot
- surgical wounds
The importance of additional patient factors including co-morbid conditions, psychosocial issues and resource considerations will be addressed.You will get to practice your skills, including debridement, and present information on a wound care product you researched during the online component of the course.
- Distinguish pathophysiology and staging of pressure ulcers and identify risk factors.
- Identify, stage and assess lymphedema and lipedema to develop an intervention plan.
- Evaluate diabetic foot ulcers, signs and symptoms requiring intervention and differentiate ulcer characteristics to facilitate clinical review.
- Consider characteristics of malignant wounds, the impact of cancer treatment and potential problems associated.
- Assess wounds to determine need for debridement and identify risks associated.
- Conduct patient and wound assessment including vascular status, anatomical risk and environmental factors.
- Demonstrate awareness of initial burn management principles and appropriate consultation for providing safe care.
Prerequisite: One of the following:
Wound Management for Health Care Professionals Level I (minimum score: 75%)
Wound Management Level 1 Challenge Exam (minimum score: 75%)Professional Skills