The Personal Support Worker: program is designed to teach students to provide clients and their families the care and assistance needed to live fulfilling lives in the community and in institutions. The student develop’s a broad range of abilities which emphasize the value of their role and reflects true sensitivity and respect for the individuality of each client. Some of the personal support workers’ activities include providing their clients with personal care and hygiene, household and family management, meal preparation, assisting clients with their medications, palliative and restorative activities.
This program has been designed to meet program standards set by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities of Ontario. Personal Support Workers work in both community and facility settings.
The Personal Support Worker program will provide opportunities for experiential learning through the hands-on skills lab, field placements (facility and community).
As well, students in this program will have the opportunity to participate in cross-disciplinary and/or inter-professional learning opportunities with other members of the care/service team e.g. Practical Nursing, Registered Nursing, Social Service Worker, etc.
Graduates of the PSWC program will be able to ladder into the Practical Nursing Diploma (PND) program and is a redirection pathway for Practical Nursing, through Bridging Personal Support worker program & a pathway to practical nursing.
Graduates of this program will be able to find employment in the community, retirement homes, long-term care homes, and/or hospital care settings.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent, or a mature applicant (19 years or older).
- Applicants must demonstrate the ability to read, write and understand English at an academic level. Mature applicants may submit one of the following in place of Grade 12 English:
- Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC)
- Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) Assessment
- Completion of a suitable level in a college English Language program
- TOEFL paper-based, internet-based; IELTS; Pearson Test of English (PTE)
- College English Pre-Admission test
- Students must apply for, and receive a clear vulnerable sector police check before attending field placement.
- Have questions about the program: Connect with one of our College recruiters for more information.