Program Details Program Code:
School: Macmillian Institute of Applied Health Sciences
Credential:Ontario College Certificate
Location: College Campus/Online
CIMT College offers two levels of ESL training. Our four-skill course with Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing provides 4 months of necessary language practice per level. ESL Beginner is suited to students who have little or no English skills at all. ESL Intermediate is ideal for students who wish to achieve minimum scores on IELTS (overall band of 5.5 or more) or TOEFL (minimum score of 213/300), or for those who want to continue into a CIMT College diploma program. ESL Intermediate also includes IELTS preparatory training. ESL Complete combines ESL Beginner and Intermediate. Classes are limited to 6-8 students to provide personalized attention.
This course is a combination of ESL Beginner and ESL Intermediate with IELTS. This combination is best for students who wish to go from little or no English, all the way up to being ready to score well on IELTS or enter a CIMT College diploma program. ESL Complete is Levels 1-8.
- Identify purpose, main ideas, factual details and some implied meanings in a short communication intended to influence or persuade others in familiar, everyday situations.
- Get the gist and identify factual details, some implied meanings, keywords and expressions in short descriptive or narrative communication on topics of personal
- Make and respond to a range of requests and offers such as getting assistance, and asking for, offering, accepting or rejecting goods or services.
- Ask for and give information about needs and feelings related to common everyday activities.
- Give brief descriptions of personal experiences, situations or simple processes, such as getting goods or services.
- Get information from simple formatted texts such as forms, tables, schedules, and directories.
- Get information from short business or service texts such as brochures, notices, forms, letters, and flyers.
- Get the main idea, the purpose of the text, specific details from texts related to everyday familiar and personally relevant situations and topics.
- Access simple standard reference texts such as dictionaries and encyclopedia
- Complete simple forms that require basic personal or familiar information and some responses to simple questions.
- Write simple business or service messages.
Each course includes 16 weeks of Extensive ESL and workbooks. Each level contains 2 student textbooks which are loaned to students, and 2 student workbooks which are included in the tuition fee for students to keep, to provide hands on train-ing. Students also learn from DVDs containing videos for further practice of vocabulary, grammar, and functional language.
Students completing ESL Intermediate or ESL Complete do not need IELTS or TOEFL or other language accreditation to join a College diploma program. Your ESL Intermediate or ESL Complete is the only ESL credential you need!