English Proficiency: Canadian Applicants
For Diploma, Degree and Graduate Certificate Programs
At Seneca College all courses are taught in English and to be successful in a program, your English communication, listening, comprehension, reading and writing skills must be at a level to meet the demands of your program.
Applicants to all post-graduate certificate programs and to the Practical Nursing diploma and Honors Bachelor of Aviation Technology** degree must demonstrate overall proficiency in English through one of the following:
- Three years of successful full-time study in a secondary school (high school) and country* where English is the primary language spoken; or three years of successful full-time study in a Canadian curriculum high school outside of Canada; or three years of successful full-time study in a French high school in Canada with three consecutive years of English.
- Two full-time years of successful study in a college or university undergraduate program, in an institution and country* where English is the primary language spoken.
- Successful completion of a college post graduate certificate or university post graduate degree, in an institution and country* where English is the primary language spoken.
- For Practical Nursing (PND) diploma, Seneca will accept successful completion of a Pre-Health Certificate from an Ontario College as proof of proficiency.
Applicants to Seneca’s Bachelor of Science Nursing (BSCN) must meet proficiency requirements as described in the York University website.
The College will accept the following recognized tests and scores to demonstrate proficiency.
|Diploma/Certificate Programs (Practical Nursing Diploma)||Degree Programs (Honours Bachelor of Aviation Technology)||Ontario Graduate Certificate Programs|
|College Pre-Admission test||Not accepted||Please contact Admissions for details||Please contact Admissions for details|
|TOEFL Internet-based||Overall 80 with Writing, Reading, Listening and Speaking minimums of 20||Overall 84 with Writing, Reading, Listening and Speaking minimums of 21||Overall 88 with Writing, Reading, Listening and Speaking minimums of 22|
|IELTS Academic||Overall band of 6.0 No single test score below 5.5||Overall band of 6.5 No single test score below 6.0||Overall band of 6.5 No single test score below 6.0|
|PTE||Minimum score 58||Minimum score 60||Minimum score 60|
|Pre-Admission test for proficiency – please contact Admissions for details.|
* Canada, Australia, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, New Zealand, Singapore, U.S., U.K. and Caribbean countries excluding Cuba, Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Puerto Rico).
** Students who take the Seneca pre-admission test to demonstrate proficiency for Honours Bachelor of Aviation Technology must also present transcripts showing completion of a Grade 12 U Compulsory English or equivalent with a minimum Grade of 65%.