Skip to the content
Program Details Program Code:
School: MacMillian Institute of Applied Health Sciences
Credential: Ontario College Certificate
Program Length: 6 Hrs.
Program Fees: $85
Location: College Campus/Online
The Smart Serve server training program gives liquor servers the information they need to understand and implement the skills of a responsible service.
Smart Serve is Ontario’s mandated training for all servers of alcohol beverages in licensed establishments. The course covers such topics as Effects of alcohol,
Legal issues, and
Understanding BAC Chart
It’s the law. If you work or plan to work in the hospitality industry where alcohol is served. You must be in possession of the Smart Serve certificate, and must be 18 years to work in an establishment where alcohol is sold.
Smart Serve certification is now mandatory for serving staff including bartenders, door staff, security, managers and owners if they take an active role in the running of the day-to- day operations of their licensed establishment.
Smart serve Certificate can be taken On line
Learn online – When, where, and how you want!
Individual training can be completed online 24/7. The training prepares you to work in any environment where alcohol is sold, served, delivered, or sampled, in the province of Ontario. Learn with short videos, quizzes, text/audio, activities, and games before completing the Final Certification Test online.
- Takes about 6 hours
- You can stop/start your training
- Your progress is saved as you learn
- You must complete the Training and Final Test within 30 days
- You will have two (2) attempts at the Final Test
- Your Final Test will be Proctored
- You must achieve 80% or higher to pass and meet all Proctoring requirements
- Smart Serve reserves the right to review all tests
- All fees are non-refundable
Technical Requirements: recommend a desktop/laptop computer. The program is responsive and will work on a tablet or smartphone but you may find the screen size to be small and hard to interact with some of the training elements
- A reliable internet connection
- If you are using your smartphone – please ensure you are connected to a Wi-Fi network¹
- Turn-on browser pop-ups
- Final Tests require a working web camera and microphone
- View full detailed technical requirements
- Training Guidelines
- Here is an overview of the Smart Serve Online® Training Program:
- The online program consists of multiple learning modules and chapters.
- You will learn through videos, audio, text, playing games, and quizzes, with immediate feedback.
- A status bar will show your progress as you complete the training modules.
- After fully completing all activities within the chapters/modules, your Final Test will be made available in your account.
- You can launch the test when you are ready.
- After you complete your test, a list of questions that were incorrectly answered will be provided immediately to you.
- Don’t forget to download the Smart Serve TIP Sheets & Job Aids!
The training is for personal use and must be completed by the individual who is the registered owner of the Online Account.
IMPORTANT: Once you start the Final Test, you must complete it in one sitting (about 30 mins). If you exit the test or leave the camera view, you will lose that attempt.
1. Getting Started
- It takes about 6 hours to complete
- You do not need to finish in one sitting
- Your progress is saved as you learn
- You have 30 days to complete the Training & Final Test
2. Quizzes & Games
- Games test your comprehension & retention
- Activities will allow you to “role play”
- Quizzes will provide answers, as you learn
- Play the games as many times as you like
3. Final Test – TIPS
- You must score 80% or higher to pass
- Two (2) attempts at the Final Test are available to you
- You will need a working web camera & microphone (check your browser settings to ensure it is not blocked)
- You will need a valid government issued photo I.D.
- You will be Proctored and monitored during the test. Learn more
- Your session will be reviewed for an integrity check before releasing your Certificate
- Take the test in a comfortable environment, with no distractions
- Once you start the test you cannot stop or leave the camera view
- Check your email for information regarding your test session